Friday, April 25, 2014

"I" is for Incense: Intentioned Prayer and Meditation



Incense as I know it is an essential in my pagan practice. I use it as a form of prayer and meditation to the gods and goddesses.
The best part about it: it smells so good!

What is Incense?


They come in many smells from the popular Dragon's Blood to Baking Brownies (Wildberry Incense). There are many different brands you can choose from to buy incense from. You can make your own! The possibilities are endless of the possible scents you can have of incense.

The most recongizable brand is Wildberry Incense. They are sold all over the place. The most recent spot I found this brand that made me giggle was a shop called Five Below. You can do your shopping for that teenage niece of yours and pick up some incense for your pagan practice, all in one place!

I'm serious if you want a great laugh, over the next year see how many places you can find that sells incense. It's a running laundry list that makes me giggle in the checkout line when no one is looking.



Anyways for me Wildberry was a great starting place for my incense practice. It was not expensive and I could buy in bulk for cheap. At the local metaphysical store in my area they have a serious selection. I asked the owners and they said that Incense is one of their top selling items in the store, hints the hundreds of incense scents to choose from.

I moved onto Nag Champa and honestly this is the one constant in my incense practice. It is light and firm and I love the smell. The beauty of having an incense practice is A) overall they are cheap, so if you find one you do not like it's not a big deal and B) once you find one you like, stick to it! and buy in bulk.

I live with a family member who is sensitive to incense, so to be respectful I get creative with where and when I burn incense. I mostly do it outside on my back porch. I have a travel altar with an incense burner with it. So sometimes I burn one in the parking deck at my university. (Don't worry, Believe it or not I've never been asked by Campus Police if I was smoking anything illegal and burning incense to cover it up) Lol.


My Incense Practice: A Quick Summary


As I light a stick I put Reiki energy and an intent into the incense. This morning's intent was health (I am battling horrible allergies that resulted in bronchitis and upper respiratory infection). Prosperity and abundance for not just me, but an universal blanket intent. I am a firm believer that our thoughts create our reality, and this is most powerful way I can spread this intent into the world.

As the smoke rises into the sky I visualize my intent being spread throughout the world. Some days I travel in my mind's eye all around the world. Other days I sit there in silent meditation or listen to a guided meditation.

Today I journaled as the smoke rose into the universe. After the stick is gone (25-45 minutes depends on the brand, length, quality, etc.) I resume with my day. Some times I start the stick and walk away and let the universe do it's magick (WARNING: if you leave an incense stick alone and not properly make sure that it WILL NOT CATCH ANYTHING ON FIRE, and it does. You can not sue me for mentioning that I sometimes do that. Cause there is always a chance of catching something on fire.)

I am excited to see if you have a different incense practice or a different take on incense than I do. Comment with your thoughts below.

And to not miss out on the on goings of Lindsay at Everlasting Essence, sign up for my newsletter.

Namaste Beautiful Essence!

Lindsay is an internationally regarded Psychic Medium Intuitive. She is a Certified Ethical Psychic through the Starshine Healing Academy. Lindsay is also a Reiki Practitioner and an Intuitive Henna Artist specializing in healing symbols. She is an Ordained Minister through the Universal Life Church. Lindsay has the psychic gifts of Clairvoyant, Clairaudiant, and Clairsentience. She uses these gifts and a combination of divination tools in sacred space to provide messages from Spirit for you.

As always you can find her on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment